Sunday 22 May 2011

Artist Statement

In my practice I explore colour and light through the amalgamation of marks using coloured pencils. The process I use is repetitive and requires a devoted involvement. As a result the close position and time invested in creating the drawings I feel allows them to gain an emotive quality. I am interested in this possibility of the work carrying something deeper as it suggests the drawings could be encoded to store personal emotions.
Working with pencils I feel gives the drawings a sense of playfulness and immediacy allowing them to stay modest and fresh. The medium also gives softness to the marks and gradation in the colour. This integral aspect enables me to investigate the experience and subtly of natural light in the work. The quality of light at dawn and sunsets has always captivated me as it encompasses an expression of silent beauty and composure, a sensation I want to explore in the drawings. I am also interested in the relationship between time passing while making and the transitory nature of light; the imminence of time and light as colours and light change during dawn and sunset.   

1 comment:

  1. great statement. just the last statement maybe comes across as a bit sentimental: you had already mentioned beauty.
    Maybe you could slightly develop the interesting interplay of perfection and imperfection...perhaps by mentioning the 'fallibity' of human touch?
    But it's good as it stands..so dont worry too much.
    J

    ReplyDelete